It had been a while since we had had stuffed bell peppers at our house, but for whatever reason, I had quite a few bell peppers that needed to be used before spoiling. I am all about easy and versatile recipes (and if I can get the kiddos to eat it without too much grumbling I’m a happy camper). Stuffed peppers seem to fit that bill as they are usually pretty easy, inexpensive, and seem slightly fancy so would be a great way to impress your guests. They are also super versatile and you can go any number of ways depending on what kind of mood you’re in or what you happen to have on hand.
(This recipe made enough filling for about 8-10 peppers depending on size)
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 packet Trader Joe’s taco seasoning
1 cup frozen corn thawed
2-2 1/2 cups lentils (cooked)
1/4 cup salsa (look for no sugar added or very low sugar if possible)
1 can tomatoes (optional)
4 1/2 bell peppers
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown turkey with onion in oil and add taco seasoning, cook until turkey is done through.
- Add in remaining ingredients. Cook for 5-10 minutes heating all the way through and allowing flavors to develop.
- While filling is cooking, cut your bell peppers in half and remove the seeds.
- Remove filling from heat and fill each pepper, dividing mixture evenly.
- Top with shredded cheese and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until filling is hot all the way through and peppers are cooked to your desired texture.
We didn’t serve with a side dish, but if you needed more vegetables you could put together a simple dinner salad. You could even add some greens to the mixture and heat just until wilted.
Want things to be easier and feel less stressful around food? Let me send you my FREE nutrition guide!
This is for you if... you're feeling frustrated from counting calories and you're over tracking macros, this no non-sense approach to nutrition is exactly what you need.
Inside you'll learn the basics of mindful eating while learning how to trust yourself around your favorite foods, eat without restriction, and still reach your goals! (this works even if you've been dieting for years + you're ready to get off the diet cycle for good!)