Wine in the mail? A few years back I had signed up for one of those monthly wine clubs where they sent you new bottles each month to try out, and one of the extra perks was that you got recipes to go with each bottle of wine. This was an amazing service and is definitely something I would recommend if wine is your jam and you’re also on a budget. Hosting your own happy hour or wine tasting is so much fun and is likely more affordable than hitting the local spots.
Anyway, one of the recipes that came was a beet and pistachio salad. At the time beets were not a regular ingredient in my weekly meal prep as I hadn’t had too many pleasant experiences with them. But I am all about adventure and stepping out of your comfort zone, so I decided to give this salad a try, and as you guessed it by the title of this blog post a version of this salad has become one of my favorites.
I shared a picture of my hubby’s birthday dinner a couple days ago on my social media and had so many requests for the recipe I wanted to share it here too.
Mixed salad greens (about 1-2 cups/person)
3 large beets (golden or red will work)
1/2 c shelled pistachios (roasted)
1 T Red wine vinegar
3-4 T Olive Oil
1 tsp stone ground mustard
1-2 garlic cloves pressed or diced finely
pinch of sea salt
(you can play around with the measurements until you get it to your liking, my hubby isn’t too fond of vinegar/mustard so I go easy on it )
To make it:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- cut the stems from the beets and wrap in foil, place in the oven
- roast beets until done and easily pierced with a fork or knife about 45-60 min
- shell and roast your pistachios for about 5 minutes until you can see a little oil release. Remove from heat so they can cool.
- rinse your greens and add them to a large bowl, set aside.
- while beets are roasting, prepare the dressing and set aside. I like to use a small mason jar, add all the ingredients, seal the lid, and shake until it is combined.
- When the beets are cooked through, let them cool, peel them, and cut into small wedges and add to the greens.
- Chop the pistachios, add to the salad.
- Finally top with goat cheese and a little dressing.